Sunday, July 4, 2010

I Went To Heaven and Back



It’s December 14, 2008, I woke up at 5am in the morning and hurried myself to ride our service going to the 1st Batang Bayani Site in San Isidro Nueva Ecija. It was a smooth 2 hour drive in the early hours of  Sunday at the long stretch of North Luzon Express Way. We had a quick breakfast at Jollibee Pampanga and continued our way to San Isidro,Nueva Ecija.

Hot angry sun touches our skin as our van approaches the GK site. The day was so hot that you will sweat even by doing nothing. As I wipe my forehead, the little kids of Batang Bayani Village went rushing to us and reach for our right hands to "mano". It was such an overwhelming sight of love and respect when those little kids smilingly put our hands in their sweaty forehead and greeted us good morning.

The program started with a prayer followed by performance of different groups. One of my favorite presentations was from San Isidro Sagip. They had a dance number with just one dance step for the whole song. A happy feeling shines through everyone's face as we watch the children dance with joy.

At Exactly 12pm, the families were asked to go back in their houses because the visitors from Australia and from Manila have a surprise for them. When everyone was settled, the visitors caroled the families and after they sing songs, they were the ones who give the family a gift! The family received the gifts while saying countless thank you to the carolers under the heat of the 12 noon sun.

After lunch, we all gathered once again to the multi-purpose hall to have the closing program. The visitors offered more Christmas songs for everyone. After their serenade, what happened next was so touching and very uplifting. The families of San Isidro offered everyone a thank you song and went around the hall thanking all the people in rebuilding their once hopeless lives but now with a new direction and full of hope.

The program was over. We have to go back to Manila.

As for me, I know that I will be coming back home as a different person. I feel that as if my heart has grown twice its size because of all the love I felt this day. I will go home happier and spiritually stronger because of the simple yet powerful message I learned this day- that the greatest force in this world is no other than love. You have to immense yourself to God's great ocean of love so that you can also share love to others.

Before I ride the van, I look once again at the people waving goodbye. And as I look at them, in my heart I am very thankful to God for allowing me to meet them.

When I arrived home and as I lay myself to rest, I took a deep breath and said to myself "I went to heaven and back..."

No comments:

Post a Comment