Wednesday, January 18, 2012

God's "No" Sometimes Means "Not Yet"

The cold breeze of winter touched my face as I stepped for the first time in the island of Kish, Iran. You can sense the weariness of the people as they walk from the tarmac to the airport terminal building. The fear of the unknown seems like a deep word to use to describe how everyone look like but that is what I feel as we all line up and get our turn to be in-front of the immigration officer. 


Fear was in the pounding heart of everyone. Fear of what the Island has in-store for us as everyone waits for their visa to get back to  U.A.E. You can hear whispering voices of people chatting, introducing themselves to the new faces in-front of them with a hope of not waiting for many weeks for their visa to come out.


To wait... Those are the words that everyone here don't want to do for a long time. 


For for me that was what happened.


I waited...


and waited...


and waited more...




I was told that I'll be exiting Dubai for just 2 to 3 days. So I was advised not to bring many clothes and any valuables because I will not be needing those in my supposedly short period stay.


Just 2 to 3 days they said.


...but it became 33 days.


One of the days while I'm waiting, I thought that maybe the number 2 got tired of waiting also and it went out so number 3 replaced him tagging along his twin brother. Well, just a thought.


This is the longest period of my life that I became idle. I wake-up and sleep on the time I wish to. I eat if get hungry, then I sleep again and sleep some more.


To my surprise, what seems to be a sure "good for nothing & time-wasting" 33 days of my life turned out to be the one of the most meaningful one. God spoke to me and heard Him all right. I heard Him very clearly. Not audibly and He did not spoke to my ear but to my heart.


One of the most valuable things I learned in my "exile" is God loves us so much that He don't give right away what we asks of Him. Yes, you read it right! You may be shocked about that sentence but I believe there's so much truth in that. There are things that are really not meant for us that's why God don't give us those but many times there are things that He want to give us but now is not just the proper time. 


It is like the little child pulling the shirt of his dad and begging him to ride a big mountain bike when the kid don't even know yet how to pedal a small bike with 2 little rubber tires on the side. Can you imagine what will happen to that kid if his dad give him what he wants? It will be a disaster! The boy will surely crash and be hurt. He will have bruised elbows and wounded knees.


Everyday I am praying to God that my visa will arrive on that certain day. 


1st week... I prayed.
2nd week... I prayed.
3rd week... I prayed.
4th day... I prayed. 


 I prayed and prayed everyday but for 32 long days, no visa was sent in my email.


Then maybe around 2 weeks of staying there, it hit me. God wants me know how to wait, to have patience, to hope, to pray harder, to trust, to forgive, to love, to help, to learn, to unlearn and to have faith in Him.


Then on the 33rd day, my visa arrived. Suddenly I realized that all I was just asking for is one item so God answered "not yet", and He allowed me to learn all of those things.


And at the end, I feel like I was refreshed and renewed because God gave me all these beautiful learnings and I got more than what I prayed for.


So the next time that we are tempted to doubt God if ever He will grant those deepest desires of our heart. Those things that we cried out to Him as we closed our eyes before we sleep at night. Make sure to get closer to Him because maybe, just maybe He is not whispering "No" but only "Not Yet".


God wants us to realize golden lessons and acquire first the values that we need so we will not end up with a bruised heart and wounded soul because in the end, if what we are praying for is really for us, God will surely give it without a single doubt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment